OVERNIGHT GENERATION PROJECT
OVERNIGHT GENERATION IS A PORTRAIT OF SARAJEVO AND A TRIBUTE TO ITS YOUNG CITIZENS: A GENERATION THAT HAD TO GROW UP OVERNIGHT, WHILE THE REST OF US WERE ASLEEP.
Overnight Generation is a post-clash reportage over the complex shades that being young adults can assume in the contemporary Sarajevo. A research on a fascinating, complex, and often unknown European capital, plagued by what has been acknowledged as the longest siege in modern history.
It appears to be a common belief that Sarajevo is recovering from its post-war trauma, but is that true? And what happened to the children of the conflict? Unlike other efforts that have been done to explore their lives, Overnight Generation does not aim to illustrate the physical damage done to them during the armed struggle, but rather portrays the character of a more subtle violence: the ordinary drama of a post-war existence; a subtle curse that follows every one of the young citizens who had to hide his or her best years behind the curtain of the conflict, and grow up overnight, while the rest of us were sleeping.
Overnight Generation is a book which intent is not to allocate blame, but rather to portray the efforts of a group of fellows, that sometimes could not have the chance to do things better, but in most of the cases exceeded all the expectations. It is a tribute to Sarajevo and to its young citizens: an insight into the lives of those affected by the war, an analysis on how its consequences have grown into a generational disease.
The Overnight Generation dummy book has earned recognition and reward in some of the most prestigious photobook competitions, even before its actual publication. In supporting this book, you are choosing not only to help a project that has often been judged as one of the most valuable entries, but also adding your voice to the one of a growing audience, carefully built piece by piece thanks to the unceasing effort of the author.
- Finalist to New York Photo Awards 2012
- Shortlisted to Dummy Book Award 2012
- Shortlisted to SCAN Tarragona 2012
- Shortlisted to Photobook Show 2012
- Winner of Photobook Slam Berlin 2012
- DOCfield>16 Festival, Barcelona
- The Library Project, Dublin
- Aff Gallery, Berlin
- Lucid-ly Gallery, London
- CAMeC, La Spezia
- Hagi-so Gallery, Tokyo
- Dispara Art Gallery, Pontevedra
- The Photographers’ Gallery, London
- Arles Photo Festival Photobook Award exhibition, Arles
- Vienna Photobook Festival, Vienna
- Nursery Gallery at London College of Communication, London
- ASA Gallery, Sarajevo
- Casa dei Tre Oci, Venice
- Hors Format Bookshop & Gallery, Brussels
- The Private Space Gallery, Barcelona
- Scan Tarragona Photo Festival, Tarragona
- The New York Photo Awards at Dumbo Arts Festival, New York
- Photo Book Show D at The Finnish Museum of Photography, Helsinki
- C/O Berlin Book Days, Berlin
- F/Stop Photography Festival, Leipzig
- 5th International Fotobook Festival. Le Bal, Paris
WHAT HAS BEEN SAID ABOUT OVERNIGHT GENERATION
This is what Nadja Masri, Independent Photo Editor and one of the judges of Photo Book Slam Berlin 2012, had to say about Overnight Generation:
“It’s a combination of good images, and compelling content…Sarajevo today, is one of the forgotten places in the world, it says it is undergoing construction, its growing fast, its recovering, but are these just slogans or reality for people living there today? A community affected by the war long after the hostilities have ceased… the youth, did they recover? What is on their mind? They do look bored, angry, proud, detached…daydreaming…nobody can be a star in Sarajevo, but they stay. That must be true love…as one of the chapters says. The portraits of the people are beautiful, they are sad, they move me, the book gives answers but also asks a lot of questions, it made me think, and that’s why I picked this book…”